Saturday, 29 January 2011

Cushions - How to.

At the request of Nic's Notebook I have put together a little 'How-To' about the cushions I made. I am new to this sewing game so I'm not very technical I'm afraid. 
I also didn't take any pictures whilst I was going along, so I hope it makes sense. 

  1. Once the cushion inner {IKEA Granat} had been bought I laid out the fabric on a flat surface and marked round the cushion with pins to get an idea of how big it was {if you put them side by side, the ones I made aren't quite the same size because of this. Maybe I should have used a tape measure? }
  2. I cut out one piece of fabric the size of the cushion for the front of the cushion. 
  3. I cut another piece of fabric the same width as the cushion, but made sure it was about 8 inchs longer than the cushion was in length. This piece of fabric was then cut in half to make the back of the cushion.
  4. These two pieces of back will eventually overlap so I folded one of the raw edges on either piece over {it was actually the edges I had just cut when I cut the longer piece in half.} and sewed it to form a neat edge. 
  5. The I pinned the right sides of the fabric together, so it was now wrong side out. I made sure the two back pieces I had just sewed overlapped by a couple of inches, trying to make sure that the outside of the flaps was about in the middle of the cushion. Because the flaps at the back are overlapping and were the same size, one of them hung over the edge of the seam a long way. The other fitted about right. 
  6. Now I sewed all the way round the cushion to form a square. 
  7. Once the edges were sewed - I trimmed the edges close to the seams so that the corners looked better and turned it the right way round. 
  8. There you go - cushions.  

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I understand! Brill, thank you! Now I actually have to try this don't I?!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my 30thingsbeforeiam31. See you again soon.